Skip Navigation

Customer Service

Capital Improvement Program

Water & Wastewater Services

Water Meters

Conservation & Outreach

Construction & Development

About Us

Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Water Bill Adjustments

There may be several reasons why you received a high water bill in the most recent quarter.

Customers may receive an adjustment to their bill in any of these cases:

  • a high bill due to a leak that was concealed underground or behind a wall
  • an act of vandalism resulting in a high bill (customer must have reported the incident to the police, and must verify repairs made to damaged water and sewer fixtures)
  • an over or underestimated reading
  • an incorrect meter reading

Underground Leak Adjustment

To request a leak credit, please complete an Underground/Concealed Leak Credit Request form. Be sure to indicate the date and location on the property of the repairs. The completed formPDF can be faxed to 786-552-8763, email to [email protected] or mailed to:

3071 SW 38TH AVE – Room 247
MIAMI, FL 33146-1520

Be sure to indicate “Leak Credit” on the fax sheet, subject line or envelope.

No adjustments will be made for leaks occurring in visible fixtures such as toilets, hot water heaters, faucets or exposed plumbing (including pipes in an under-the-sink cabinet, for example).

The following are requirements to be considered for an adjustment.

  • All repairs for underground/concealed leaks must be completed within 30 days after notification by the Department that a possible plumbing problem may exist.
  • An underground/concealed leak form must be completed and signed by the account holder in order to apply for a billing adjustment.          
  • Attach a copy of the repair receipt/bill(s) and/or a letter from the company or person(s) completing the repairs.
  • Attach photos from before and after the repairs have been completed.
  • Submit payment of 40% of current charges or verify your account is paid in full.
  • Before covering, repairs must be inspected by the Department, unless they are in a hazardous area for which detailed pictures must be provided.
  • Access to the property will be needed depending on the location of the repair. 

Please Note the following information regarding possible Adjustments.

  • If repairs have not been completed, no adjustment will be applied to the account.
  • Monthly accounts will only be granted adjustments on the wastewater portion of the bill, with no adjustments made to the water portion of a bill for any leaks.
  • Billing adjustments will be 50% above the prior year’s average usage on the water portion of the bill, and 100% adjustment above the prior year’s average usage on the wastewater portion of the bill.
  • Customers may apply for a one-time lifetime 100% adjustment above the prior year’s average usage on the water portion of the bill, if the water loss is 6 times higher than the prior year’s average usage due to the leak repaired. This adjustment is applied only to one billing cycle.
Back to Top

Pool (Sewer) Credit

A once-a-year pool credit is allowed for a swimming pool that is emptied and refilled. The bill’s sewer charges may be adjusted for the volume of water necessary to refill the pool. A $12.50 fee applies if the presence of the pool needs to be verified. Accounts that are billed for water only and premises with a sub-meter or separate sprinkler meter do not qualify for a pool credit.

Create or log in to your Water and Sewer account to request a pool credit online.

Back to Top

Certified Meter Test

A "legally accurate" meter is defined as a meter that has been tested by the Water & Sewer Department and is determined to register between 98.5 and 101.5 percent on high and intermediate test flows, and between 90.0 and 101.0 on low test flows. Certified meter tests take up to 60 days to complete. The test results will be mailed to you within 10 working days upon completion. The Department will notify you regarding any discrepancies with this request.

To request a certified meter test, please fill out a certified meter request form . Fax the completed form to 786-552-8763 or mail it to:

3071 SW 38TH AVENUE - ROOM 247
MIAMI FL 33146-1520

Back to Top

One-time Lifetime Credit

In the event of an extremely high bill, that is not the result of a leak or any changes on the property, customers are able to apply for a One-Time Lifetime adjustment on one billing period.

Per section 32-101 of the Code of Miami-Dade County a customer who disputes a high bill may be provided with a One-Time Lifetime Adjustment. The credit will be based upon the assessment of extreme circumstances in which the customer received a bill that exceeds six times the past year’s average water consumption.

The following are requirements to be considered for a One-Time Lifetime Adjustment.

  • The high bill must exceed 6 times the past year’s average usage.
  • The account must be in good standing without any interruption of service due to nonpayment, or placed in the Department’s collection process during the previous 12 months for late payments.
  • The original licensed plumber’s invoice must be submitted.
  • The original completed and signed notarized affidavit must be submitted.
  • The customer must have a minimum of 4 full billing cycles, or 12 months of billing history at the property in question.

Please Note the following information regarding possible Adjustments.

  • No adjustment will be granted for a hose, faucet, toilet, or hot water heater that was running inadvertently, or any other plumber fixture that has otherwise allowed water to flow for any period of time.
  • No adjustment will be granted if there have been any changes in water usage within the household during the billing period (i.e. new landscaping, guests visiting, major household repairs or construction that required increased water usage, problems with one’s pool or sprinkler system, or water theft).
  • No photocopies, faxes, or emailed scans will be accepted of the affidavit in order to request the adjustment.
  • A one-time lifetime adjustment will be 50% credit to the water portion of the bill above the past year’s average consumption, and a 100% credit to the wastewater portion of the bill above the past year’s average consumption.
Back to Top

Deposit Refunds

Customers in good standing will automatically receive a credit to their account for the full deposit amount after two years of good credit history with the Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department or at termination of service.

Back to Top

Administrative Hearings

Account holders may dispute the accuracy, amount or calculation of any water or sewer service billing credits or denials thereof, through an administrative hearing. Customers that are billed on a monthly basis must do so within 60 days of the bill or adjustment decision, and customers that are billed on a quarterly basis must request a hearing within 90 days of the bill or adjustment decision.

The following matters are not to be considered through an administrative hearing process:

  • Service Charges and fees
  • Liens
  • Water and Sewer Rates
  • Stormwater Fees
  • Fees and/or charges billed on behalf of other entities

The Administrative Hearing is administered by the Clerk of the Courts on behalf of Miami-Dade Water and Sewer. An independent Hearing Officer will review any pertinent facts and evidence including testimony of witnesses and render a final decision. A decision by the Hearing Officer that is in favor of the Department will result in a $75 Administrative Fee being charged to the owner of the water and sewer account.

If you would like to request an Administrative Hearing, please contact our Customer Care Center Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., excluding holidays, at 305-665-7477 or via e-mail at [email protected] to request an Administrative Hearing form.

Back to Top

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Page Last Edited: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:53:03 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.