As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Half Penny at Work
Miami-Dade voters' approval of the PTP and the half penny transportation surtax has paved the way for a dedicated funding source exclusively for the improvement of transportation.
Since passage of the surtax, the following program and services have been implemented:
- The Golden Passport program provides free public transportation to all senior citizens 65 years of age and older and to those who receive Social Security benefits.
- Downtown Miami's Metromover service is available at no cost.
- There is 24-hour Metrobus service on 21 routes, seven bus routes, as well as over 358,000 additional hours of bus service and the implementation of 4,500,000 additional bus service miles.
Major transit projects proposed by the PTP
Funding of major highway and road improvements undertaken by Miami-Dade County Public Works through 2014 are among the many long-term benefits of the PTP. These projects include:
- creating viable reverse flow lanes on major thoroughfares
- construction of NW 87th Avenue between NW 154th Street and Miami Gardens Drive (NW 183rd St.)
- accelerating program to provide ADA accessibility to bus stops throughout the County
- constructing major ingress/egress improvements in downtown Miami, from SW 8th Street to SW First Avenue
- upgrading the County's traffic signalization system
- funding grade separation of intersections where appropriate
Rail Extension Projects
The Metrorail Orange Line is a $500 million, 2.4 mile Metrorail extension that offers riders easy and affordable access to Miami International Airport and the surrounding area. The Orange Line received 80 percent of its funding from the PTP and opened to the public in July 2012.
Also, visit Public Work's progress on PTP projects.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:25:57 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.