As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
History of the People's Transportation Plan
Miami-Dade residents understood there was a need for local funding to finance a transportation plan from the start: Miami-Dade County has consistently ranked high on a list of the most congested areas in the nation.
A series of events took place:
- The One Hundred Opportunities to be Heard campaign was initiated.
- Eighty public meetings were conducted, including a televised townhall session, numerous radio call-in shows and a series of civic and business presentations throughout the County to solicit input from the community on transportation issues.
- Twenty-two municipalities provided input on how to address the transportation problems at a Municipal Mayors Transportation Roundtable.
- An overwhelming majority of community council representatives attended another Transportation Roundtable and provided input on transportation concerns.
- An estimated 2,000 people attended the two Transportation Summits. Participants provided input on what the People's Transportation Plan (PTP) should entail as well as its oversight and funding solutions.
- Nearly 100,000 people presented their comments and/or sought information on the results of the various public meetings and proposed transportation projects.
- Thousands of meaningful suggestions ranging from infrastructure improvements and funding options were recorded to provide input regarding the PTP.
In Nov. 5 2002, a question regarding the approval or rejection of County transportation expansion was presented on a general election ballot. The results showed that registered County voters were in favor of and approved the Transportation Trust to oversee the proceeds of the voter-approved ½ Cent Charter County Sales Surtax to implement the PTP.
Under the PTP's $17 billion dollar business plan, Miami-Dade County commits to adding more buses and routes, improving service, expanding rapid transit and creating thousands of transportation and construction-related jobs over the next 25 years.
People's Transportation Plan Resource Guide
The PTP is made up of transit and roadway projects developed for voter approval developed by the County specifically to be funded with surtax proceeds.
The People's Transportation Plan Resource Guide, created back in 2002, was once used as a tool for campaign volunteers in making presentations to the public or interacting with the media to ensure the dissemination of accurate and consistent information.
It is divided in sections covering legislative background, policy references, transit and roadway projects with an accompanying implementation plan.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:02:21 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.