Bike & Ride on Transit
Using a bicycle to extend your transit is easy. Cyclists can take a single-seat, two-wheeler bicycle with them on Metrorail, Metrobus or Metromover and travel just about anywhere in Miami-Dade County.
Bike & Ride on Metrorail
Bike & Ride Permit: You must have a Bike & Ride permit to bring your bike aboard Metrorail. Cyclists who ride Metrobus and Metromover don’t need a Bike & Ride permit.
To get a Bike & Ride permit:
- APPLY AT A METRORAIL STATION: Stop by the security officer’s booth at the main entrance of any Metrorail station during service hours. Show a valid photo ID, complete and sign the application and give it to the officer. The permit will be issued immediately. Cyclists must be at least 12 years old to get a Bike & Ride permit. A parent or guardian must accompany cyclists under 18 years old who apply for a Bike & Ride permit.
- APPLY BY MAIL: Fill out and sign the application included in this brochure, and submit with a copy of a valid picture ID to:
Miami-Dade Transit Bike & Ride Program
Advertising & Media Relations Division
701 N.W. First Court, Suite 1500
Miami, FL 33136-3912
The bike permit will be mailed to you within 15 working days.
Bicycles are allowed on all Metrorail cars at all times. Be courteous to other transit riders and always follow instructions from the security guard or other MDT employee. In order to have a safe and pleasant trip, always observe these rules:
- Maintain control of your bicycle at all times. Do not ride inside the station or on the platform.
- Wait for the train away from the platform’s yellow-tiled edge.
- Be courteous to other Metrorail patrons when entering and exiting the train car.
- Inside the train car use the area marked for bicycles and luggage.
Back to Top
Bike & Ride on Metrobus
A Bike & Ride permit is not needed to take your bike on Metrobus. All MDT buses are equipped with bicycle racks that are attached to the front of the bus. If a bus arrives with the bicycle rack occupied, missing, or out of service, please wait for the next bus. Please follow these simple guidelines to have a safe trip:
- Prepare your bike for loading by removing loose items before the bus arrives.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before attempting to mount your bicycle on the rack.
- To mount your bicycle on the rack, squeeze the silver rack handle up to release the latch. Carefully lower the rack.
- Place your bicycle wheels into the slots labeled “front” and “rear.” If yours is the first bike on the rack, mount it in the slots nearest to the bus.
- To secure the bike, raise the support arm over the front wheel as far as possible. Be sure the arm rests on the tire, not the fender.
- Once you have secured your bicycle, board the bus and pay your fare with cash or by tapping your loaded EASY Card or EASY Ticket.
- When you arrive at your destination, tell the bus operator you want to remove your bicycle from the rack before exiting the bus through the front door.
- To unload, release the support arm and lift the bicycle from the rack. If the rack is empty, squeeze the silver handle to return the rack to the upright or closed position.
- Folded bicycles can be carried onto Metrobus
BICYCLE RACKS: All Metrorail stations and Metrobus Park & Ride lots are equipped with bicycle racks.
BIKELIDS: BikeLids, which are covered bicycle racks that are secured by the user’s lock, are available for free on a “first come, first served” basis at the University Metrorail station.Back to Top
The South Florida Regional Transit Authority allows bicycles on all Tri-Rail trains and provides bike racks and lockers at all stations. Contact Tri-Rail customer service at 800-TRI-RAIL (874-7245) or visit Tri-Rail for more information.Back to Top
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.