Exemption Application Guidelines
The following documents are required from each applicant:
- Proof of January 1st ownership - (one of the following):
- A pre-printed application mailed to you by the property appraiser
- A recorded warranty deed
- Proof of florida residency - (one of the following - issued prior to january 1):
- A valid florida driver's license or id card
- Florida vehicle registration
- Florida voter's registration
- Prior year's irs return or current w-2 form
- Bank statements and checking account registered at the property
- Proof of payments for utilities at the property
- Only the persons listed on this application as residing owners, providing their social security numbers and proof of florida residency will benefit from the homestead exemption if the application is granted.
- Non-citizens must submit an alien registration card, also known as green card.
- If filing for a trust, a complete set of the trust documents must be submitted.
Senior Citizen Exemption
- Prior year's irs return, social security benefits statement or supplemental income statement, and proof of age
$500 Widow/Widower exemption
- Spouse's death certificate
$500 Civilian Disability
- Doctor's certificate (dr-416 or dr-416b - *forms can be downloaded from the property appraiser's website or obtained from either the downtown miami or south dade government center offices).
$5,000 Veteran Disability Exemption
- VA letter (27-125) 10% or more service-connected disability Veteran disability total exemption
- VA letter (27-333) service connected total and permanent disability
Civilian Disability Total Exemption
- Two (2) doctor's certificates (dr-416 or dr-416b - from doctors in different offices - *see above)
- Notarized statement of gross income (dr-501a - *see above)
- Current federal income tax return
- Previous year's ssa 1099 or supplemental income statement