At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Drivers of all for-hire vehicles must obtain a chauffeur registration from the Miami-Dade County Regulatory and Economic Resources Department. Drivers must meet eligibility qualifications such as driving record and criminal background checks, and must attend certain training programs conducted by the Department's For-Hire Transportation section of the Business Affairs Division.
In order to drive a for-hire vehicle on any street in Miami-Dade County, you must first obtain a chauffeur’s registration as defined by Chapter 31 Article II of the Miami-Dade County Code. For-hire vehicles include taxicabs, limousines, passenger motor carriers, jitneys, non emergency vehicles, special transportation services vehicles and private school buses. The minimum age to drive a for-hire vehicle is 18 years.
For-hire chauffeurs in Miami-Dade County are licensed and regulated to assure the passengers, as well as others utilizing the streets of Miami-Dade County, that the chauffeurs are competent to provide such service.
How to Apply
Submit a complete Chauffeur Registration Initial / Renewal Application along with the following documents:
- Proof that you have the right to work in the United States. This could be your Social Security Card, U.S. Passport, original certified U.S. Birth Certificate, original Certificate of Naturalization, valid Work Authorization Card or your Permanent Resident Card.
- Valid State of Florida Driver’s License
- Old Chauffeur’s Registration (renewal applicants only)
- First Aid Certification (School Bus applicants only)
- Defensive Driving Certification (original applicants or renewal applicants with two or more moving violations within the last two years)
- Certificate of training in Passenger Assistance Techniques (PAT) for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (if applicable).
- All Chauffeurs and Private School Bus operators transporting more than 15 passengers (including driver), must have a CDL License with “P” endorsement
- State of Florida Concealed Weapons Permit (If Applicable)
- For STS drivers only, a FDOT Medical Examination Certificate
The application is reviewed for compliance with the regulations of the Code of Miami-Dade County which requires, among other things, that the applicant passes a background check including scrutiny of criminal and driver’s license record history.
All initial applicants are required to attend a Regulatory and Economic Resources Department Training Program prior to the issuance of the registration.
Renewal applicants, with the exception of school bus drivers, are required to attend training every two years. Applicants must also submit a physical examination and must be sponsored by a licensed for-hire company prior to applying for the registration.
For new and renewal applicants who are required to attend the Regulatory and Economic Resources Department training courses, the process may take between one and six weeks depending on the type of registration that is being applied for. See the schedule of training sessions.
A renewal applicant who does not need to attend training may obtain the registration the same day he/she applies, provided the applicant complies with all requirements of the Code.
For more information, call 786-469-2300.
Cash will not be accepted. Fees can be paid by check, money order or cashiers check made payable to the Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation and Public Works. If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
Chauffeur’s registrations are valid for one or two years. They expire on the driver’s birthday. Chauffeurs are encouraged to file their renewal applications between 60-90 days prior to the expiration date.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.