Last Visited »

File Contractor Complaints

The Contractor Licensing and Contractor Enforcement Sections of the Miami-Dade County Regulatory and Economic Resources Department investigates complaints involving Miami-Dade County contractors. In addition, the Department investigates complaints concerning the work of unlicensed contractors.

Filing a complaint

You may view or print a complaint form, available here in Adobe Acrobat format. This complaint becomes a matter of public record at the time it is filed and is available for review and copying by the subject of the complaint and the general public.

Please note:

  • If insufficient space is provided on the complaint form for any answer, please use a separate sheet.
  • Do not write on the reverse side of this form.
  • All complainants must submit front and back copies of their contract and front and back copies of all canceled checks or receipts evidencing payment to the contractor at the time you file your complaint.
  • In addition, please submit copies of any business cards or any advertisements used by the contractor or his employees that you have in your possession.
  • Do not send original documents under any circumstances.
  • Since the Code Compliance Investigator may have to contact you for additional information, please provide a telephone number where the Code Compliance Investigator can contact you during the day.

In order to register your complaint, please complete the complaint form, with signature and seal from a Notary Public, and return it to:

Regulatory and Economic Resources
11805 SW 26TH ST
MIAMI FL 33175

How complaints are handled

Upon receipt of the completed complaint form and accompanying documents, a Code Compliance Investigator will open a case file and a copy of your complaint will be sent to the contractor for response.

When the investigation is complete and the Code Compliance Investigator has confirmed a violation of the contractor licensing laws, the Code Compliance Investigator will either:

  • issue tickets or notices of violation to the violator
  • initiate a case in criminal court through the State Attorney's Office, or
  • present the case before a committee of the Construction Trades Qualifying Board (known as the Probable Cause Panel) in order to initiate a formal disciplinary hearing.

If the Probable Cause Panel orders a formal hearing, a hearing before the Construction Trades Qualifying Board will be scheduled.


Upon a finding of guilty, the Board may impose one or more of the following penalties:

  • reprimand
  • suspension or revocation of the contractor's license
  • restitution, or
  • imposition of fines of up to $5,000 per count.

State-licensed Contractors

If the contractor involved is state licensed, you need to also file a complaint with the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). For information on the filing of complaints with DBPR, please call 305-513-3437.

Because investigations and cases vary in complexity duration and priority, a definite time frame cannot be given as to when the complaint process will be completed for any individual case.

Further, because the Statute of Limitations establishes time limits within which you must assert a cause of action in court, please do not delay in consulting with an attorney or initiating any action to preserve your civil remedies in this matter.

Finally, you may have certain rights under Florida law if you have suffered damages caused by a state registered contractor or a construction company with whom you have a signed contract.

If you cannot view PDF Get Acrobat! files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Feb 4, 2014 1:26:41 PM
  • Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS
  • Print Print Email this page Email Page   | Bookmark and Share
  • Minimize Tools

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.