Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Stratospheric Ozone Protection Annual Operating Permit

Section 24-18(A)17 of the Miami-Dade County Code requires that a Stratospheric Ozone Protection (APCF) Permit is required in order to:

(a) Purchase, sell, offer to sale, let or allow the distribution of regulated ozone-depleting compounds (ODCs) as defined in 24-5 of Chapter 24, the Environmental Code of Miami-Dade County. Regulated ODCs include, but are not limited to, Freon (R-12 and R-22), halon and various other compounds defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as having ozone-depleting potential.

(b) Perform installation, evacuation, recharge, repair, salvage and maintenance services on any appliance or system containing regulated ODCs. Examples of these appliances or systems include, but are not limited to, mobile (automotive and freight) and stationary (wall and central) air-conditioning units, refrigerators, freezers and fire extinguishing systems.

(c) Handle, recover or recycle regulated ODCs from any appliance or system.

Section 24-18(A)17 of the Miami-Dade County Code requires that a Stratospheric Ozone Protection (APCF) permit be obtained to ensure that individuals meet and maintain the required training and certification and that they utilize the required recovery and recycling equipment and approved practices to prevent venting of Ozone Depleting Compounds (ODCs) to the environment.

Scientists have documented that venting of these regulated ODCs results in destruction and thinning of the stratospheric ozone layer. A thinner ozone layer allows more harmful ultraviolet radiation to reach the earth's surface, resulting in a higher incidence of human cancer, cataracts and crop damage. Due to their stability and lengthy travel time to the stratosphere, these compounds can continue to damage the ozone layer long after they have been released.

How to Apply

The following is a list of other agencies that may have jurisdiction over these projects. Please be advised that their involvement will depend upon the location, nature, type and size of the project:

  • Local municipality (structural, zoning, building)
  • Miami-Dade County Regulatory and Economic Resources Department (if located in unincorporated Miami-Dade County)
  • Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP)
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (training, certification, equipment specifications and procedures)
  • Corporations operating at a business location must obtain a Certificate of Use (if within Unincorporated Miami-Dade County) or an Occupational License (when within a Municipality) before applying.

Questions regarding specific situations not outlined above should be referred to the Permitting Section staff at 305-372-6600.

Depending on your situation, you may need one or more of the above-mentioned permits. Additionally, there may be instances when a permit that is not listed here is required. We encourage you to call 305-372-6600 to discuss your particular case or to receive additional information.

The processing time for a permit will vary, depending on whether or not there are other permits involved.


There is a flat annual permit fee. Please see the Fee Schedule.


APCF permits are valid for one year and they are valid from July 1 of the current year through June 30 of the following year.

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57:22 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.