Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Swimming Pool Light Safety Permit

Faulty underwater pool lights can potentially cause serious injuries, especially in older pools with high-voltage light bulbs.

For a reduced permit fee of $65, a safer, low-voltage option for residential pools is now available.

Existing residential pools are also required to meet the new low voltage requirements at the time of repair or alteration of an existing pool light.

One no-cost option is disconnecting the power to the light at the electrical panel. In addition, if a new pool is being built, a light is not required.

Girl swimming

Applying for the permit

Miami-Dade County has established a reduced permit fee of $65 to change existing pool light(s) to a low voltage light(s) at residences located in unincorporated Miami-Dade County.

Alternatively, the permit fee to remove a pool light without replacing it is also $65.

To obtain the swimming pool light, simply:

  • Have a licensed and insured electrical contractor submit a permit application for your residential swimming pool online, or in person at the Permitting and Inspection Center.
  • County staff will confirm the applicant is a licensed and insured electrical contractor. Once confirmed and paid for, a reduced fee permit will be issued.
  • When the work is completed, a County Electrical Inspector will conduct an inspection and confirm code compliance.

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57:18 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.