Home > Regulatory and Economic Resources > Environment > Biscayne Bay > Environmental Complaints

Environmental Complaints

You can report Environmental Complaints to the Division of Environmental Resources Management (DERM) complaint desk at 305-372-6955 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or at [email protected].

To investigate your complaint, DERM will need an address or the most accurate location information possible. Photos and videos will also greatly help.

Report the following to DERM:

  • Chemical / drums, buckets or containers on right of ways
  • Any spill or discharge to the environment of suspected hazardous waste including gasoline, waste oil and other automotive fluids
  • Liquid discharges or spills into storm drains, waterways, or onto the open ground
  • Sewage overflows to the outside of buildings
  • Garbage (food waste) placed on pavement or ground (not in a proper receptacle)
  • Fish/bird kills (numbering more than 50 in one general location)
  • Dead animals on private property. Waste on ground from slaughterhouses
  • Smoke/dust emissions from any facility
  • Spray-painting outside of a paint booth using spray gun and compressor
  • Non-agricultural open burning (not fires used for cooking). Call Miami-Dade Fire Rescue first
  • Turbid (cloudy) discharges in any waterway, canal or Biscayne Bay
  • Any dredging or filling in bay / lakes / wetlands
  • Removal, cutting or hat-racking of trees
  • Removal, cutting or trimming of mangroves in coastal areas.

Other concerns not investigated by DERM:

  • Damage to coral reefs
  • Flood or drainage complaints: contact the Stormwater Utility information phone line at 305-372-6688 or email [email protected]
  • Contact 311 for the following:
    • Abandoned houses
    • Abandoned swimming pools
    • Animal waste, odors; care of animals
    • Animal infestation (such as rats and bees)
    • Beach maintenance/seaweed in County parks
    • Dead animals on the right-of-way
    • Lake Maintenance
    • Mosquito control
    • Odor from trucks
    • Overgrown lots
    • Solid waste dumping
    • Work in a residence including mechanical repairs

  • Contact the Florida Department of Health at 850-245-4288 for the following:
    • Odors inside buildings
    • Mold

  • Dead or injured wildlife – Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission: 888-404-3922
  • Noise – Miami-Dade Police Department: 305-476-5423
  • Pesticide applications – Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services: 850-617-7880

Report Complaints

Report complaints to 305-372-6955 24 hours a day, 7 days a week [email protected].