Motor Vehicle Repair License
Miami-Dade County requires any business or individual that performs or offers to perform repair work on any motor vehicle belonging to other persons, regardless of compensation, to register with the County.
Motor vehicle repair shop registration
Bring the following documents in person:
- Completed motor vehicle repair business registration
- Copy of current Miami-Dade County local business tax or valid municipal business tax receipt
- Articles of incorporation/fictitious name registration
- Certificate of insurance for garage liability of no less than $50,000 limit and garage-keepers legal liability in any amount
- State sales tax number certificate of registration
- Federal employer identification number
- Environmental permit/IW5
- Copy of invoice or receipt
Once the application is complete, an enforcement officer will inspect the facility or mobile repair vehicle to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Miami-Dade County Code. Once the motor vehicle repair business passes inspection, a motor vehicle repair registration will be issued authorizing the business to perform specified repairs.
Any person(s) or corporation that operates a motor vehicle repair facility in Miami-Dade County whose registration is expiring must renew at least 30 days prior to the expiration date of the current registration.
Apply in person or by mail.
- Completed Motor Vehicle Repair Business registration and renewal application
- Original Certificate of insurance for Garage Liability of no less than $50,000 limit and Garage-keepers Legal Liability in any amount
If the application process is not completed within 60 days of its filing, the application will be considered abandoned and closed and a new application and fee will be required.
Mechanic / Technician / Apprentice regulations & application process
Individuals performing motor vehicle repairs on behalf of a registered motor vehicle repair business must also register with The Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources as either a certified or apprentice mechanic or technician. Mechanics must take a test to demonstrate competency and must take 16 hours of continuing education every year. Apprentices must be employed by a motor vehicle repair facility which has obtained a registration and shall be required to work under the direct supervision of a certified motor vehicle mechanic/technician.
The permit shall be prominently displayed in a conspicuous location in the motor vehicle repair shop where the permit holder is employed.
How to apply
Any person unable to obtain certification as a specialty or master mechanic, motor vehicle body repair technician or motor vehicle paint technician who desires on-the-job training in Miami-Dade County can apply in person Monday through Friday (except holidays) 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. or by mail.
- Submit the completed Motor Vehicle Repair Apprentice/ Mechanic Permit application
If the application process is not completed within 60 days from the date that the application was filed with the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources, the application will be considered abandoned and closed and a new application and fee will be required.
Lost, destroyed or mutilated permits can be replaced by submitting satisfactory proof of loss, destruction or mutilation and payment of a replacement fee.
- Motor vehicle repair shop registration fee: $323.00
- Motor vehicle repair shop registration late fee: $161.50
- Permit replacement: $17.00
- Apprentice mechanic: $40.00
- Apprentice mechanic late fee: $20.00
- Certified mechanic: $40.00
- Certified mechanic late fee: $20.00
- Permit replacement: $7.00
Cash is not accepted. The non-refundable fees can be paid by check, money order or cashier’s check made payable to Miami-Dade County. If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (Mastercard, Visa or American Express).
A late fee will apply to renewal applications submitted after the expiration of the current registration. The late fee is in addition to the renewal fee.
In the event of a change in ownership of a motor vehicle repair facility, a new application and fee is required. Corporations that have a change of 10 percent or more of its ownership shall notify Miami-Dade County no later than 30 days after the date of the change.
Changes in any material aspect of the motor vehicle repair facility shall be provided to Miami-Dade County in writing along with proof of the change and the required fee, if replacement of the registration is required, within 30 days of the change.
Regulation & Compliance
Consumer Protection - Licensing Section
Mail / Email
- [email protected]
Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources
601 NW 1 Ct., 18th Floor
Miami FL 33136
Locations and Hours
Consumer Protection601 NW 1st Court, Miami, FL 33136
Monday8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Tuesday8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Wednesday8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Thursday8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Friday8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.***Initial and renewal applicants must be signed in by 3:30 p.m.