Home > Regulatory and Economic Resources > Building & Construction > Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Use

Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Use

Certificate of Occupancy/Completion

A Certificate of Occupancy/Completion (CO/CC) validates that a building (or renovation project) has been completed in compliance with applicable code(s).

A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is issued for new construction, remodeling, renovation or change of use (i.e., new structure or addition, removing internal walls or change of use from a school to a restaurant).

A Certificate of Completion (CC) is issued for standalone fences, windows, similar permits and shell buildings. For smaller projects like a fence installation, a CO or CC is not required, but can be requested.

To receive a CO/CC, a fee is required along with approved inspections and completion holds. A Certificate of Occupancy is a prerequisite to obtaining a Certificate of Use.

The Online Certificate of Occupancy/Completion allows you to apply, print and search CO/CC history for a property using the address, certificate and/or permit number.

Email [email protected] or call 786-315-2100 for further assistance.

Certificate of Use

The Certificate of Use, often known as a CU, confirms that the business is allowed in the zoning district where it is located. Additionally, it is evidence that the structure has obtained the proper CO for the proposed type of use/occupancy and complies with the following requirements:
  • Local zoning and environmental ordinances
  • The Florida Fire Prevention Code
  • The Florida Building Code.
Prior to opening any business in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, a CU must be obtained. Starting a business without obtaining a CU may result in a fine and the issuance of a ticket to both the business owner as well as the property owner. A CU is required when an industrial or commercial building is erected, altered, or enlarged, or an existing building goes through a change of occupancy, name, or type of business. Shell or envelope buildings will obtain CC upon approval of the final inspection and do not require a CU. When they are ready for occupancy, they will need to obtain a CO through a building permit. After that, applicants can process their CU.

When it comes to opening a business in a new location, you must verify the business address information with the Zoning Section to determine the following:
  • If your proposed business is permissible at the subject location
  • If it is required to establish the use/occupancy at the location or an area at the location. Visit the section below for the guidelines to Establish Use/Occupancy for your new business.
Once you obtain the CU for your business, the next step will be to obtain your business Local Business Tax. There is a difference between a CU and a Local Business Tax. The CU allows for the occupancy of a structure as well as certifying that the use is permitted. A Local Business Tax (formerly known as Occupational License) is a tax on business activity.

For Local Business Tax details, visit the Tax Collector's Office.

To search for Certificates of Use and/or check the status of a CU application, visit the portal and enter your process number in the search. To search by address, select "Advanced Search" and enter an address to see if a property has an issued Certificate of Use. 

For assistance, you must create an account and register through the online registration system, MeetQ, to meet with Zoning staff. Consults can be scheduled in-person, by phone or virtually on the specified days and times listed on the MeetQ homepage. For further assistance, email [email protected] or call 786-315-2660.

Online Options

Search for Certificates of Occupancy, Completion and Use.
Certificate of Occupancy