Building Better Communities Bond Program
Miami-Dade County voters on Nov. 2, 2004 approved the $2.9 billion Building Better Communities Bond Program, which allowed Miami-Dade County to issue long-term bonds to fund more than 300 neighborhood and regional capital projects.Search Building Better Communities projects
About the Bond Program
Establishment and Goals
Miami-Dade County voters on Nov. 2, 2004 approved the $2.9 billion Building Better Communities Bond Program, which allowed Miami-Dade County to issue long-term bonds to fund more than 300 neighborhood and regional capital projects.
The general obligation bonds are legally backed by the full faith and credit of the County, which has committed future taxes over the next 40 years to repay the bonds. General obligation bonds typically are the least expensive type of debt available to government.
The Board of County Commissioners approved an initial series of more than 200 projects representing a broad spectrum of important infrastructure and quality of life improvements throughout Miami-Dade County.
These projects, funded for start-up in 2005-2006, were selected based on a number of factors including: community needs, project readiness, leveraging opportunities, contractual agreements and project scope.
The Office of Management and Budget oversees bond program implementation. A 21-member Citizen's Advisory Committee serves as an advisory group to the Board of County Commissioners and Miami-Dade County Mayor on the projects that are included in the bond program. All policy decisions related to the bond program will be considered by the Board of County Commissioners.
Citizens' Advisory Committee
The 21-member Citizens' Advisory Committee, created by county ordinance in 2005, serves as an advisory group to the Board of County Commissioners and Miami-Dade County Mayor on the projects included in the bond program. Members serve 5-year terms.
The committee, which meets at least four times a year, also provides Miami-Dade residents with a way to participate in the program's implementation
The Building Better Communities-General Obligation Bond (BBC-GOB) Program provides important information with regard to progress made each fiscal year quarter. The purpose of these reports is to update the public of the program expenditures and schedules for all projects currently underway.
Ordinances and Resolutions
Resolutions approving a special election for the Building Better Communities Bond Program
- R-912-0 - Question 1: Water/Sewer Authorizing Resolution
- R-913-0 - Question 2: Parks Department Authorizing Resolution
- R-914-04 - Question 3: Bridges/Public Infrastructure Authorizing Resolution
- R-915-04 - Question 4: Public Safety Authorizing Resolution
- R-916-04 - Question 5: Emergency/Healthcare Authorizing Resolution
- R-917-04 - Question 6: Public Service Facilities Authorizing Resolution
- R-918-04 - Question 7: Housing Authorizing Resolution
- R-919-04 - Question 8: Culture/Library Authorizing Resolution
- Ordinance No. 05-47 - Authorizing Issuance of Miami-Dade County Florida General Obligation Bonds: 3/1/2005
- R-576-05 - Issuance of General Obligation Bonds - $2,925,750,000 for Building Better Communities Bond Program Pursuant To Ordinance No. 05-47; and Resolutions No. R-912-04, No. R-913-04, No. R-914-04, No. R-915-04, No. R-916-04, No. R-917-04, No. R-918-04 and No. R-919-04 and A Special Bond Election Held On Nov. 2, 2004: 5/17/2005
- R-577-05 - Issuance and Public Sale by Competitive Bids: 5/17/2005
- R-707-05 - Pledging to the Citizens Regarding Capital Projects: 6/7/2005
- R-1154-08 - Issuance of Series 2008B - $350 million: 11/20/2008
- R-395-08 - Issuance of Series 2008 for $107 million for the Port Tunnel - Port of Miami: 4/8/2008
- R-337-09 - Issuance of Series 2009B for $55 million for the Marlins Ballpark: 4/7/2009
- R-134-11 - Issuance of Series 2011A: 3/1/2011
- R-1071-12 - Issuance of BBC GOB Bonds - Flexible Drawdown Program: 12/18/2012
- R-595-05 - Resolution approving Administrative Rules regarding distribution: 5/17/2005
- R-113-07 - Resolution approving amendments to Administrative Rules governing the Building Better Communities General Obligation Bond Program with respect to disbursements to municipalities
- R-668-10 - Resolution approving amendments to Administrative Rules: 6/15/2010
- R-423-15 - Resolution amending Administrative Rules governing Economic Development Project no. 124
- Administrative Rules
Implementing Order (IO)