Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Multi-Family Use/Efficiencies

Illegal multi-family use is the illegal subdivision of residences into separate living units – such as apartments, rooming houses or efficiencies – beyond what is permitted under the zoning district where the property is located in unincorporated Miami-Dade County.

Evidence used to determine illegal use

Prima facie evidence or evidence gathered by inspecting the interior/exterior of a house is considered. Prima facie evidence consists of the following:

  • More than one cooking area in the primary structure.
  • All living areas are not interconnected.
  • An unpermitted exterior door.
  • An unauthorized detached building with air conditioning, interior cooking areas, utility meters and/or liquid propane gas tank.
  • Multiple marked paved parking spaces.
  • More than one house address or unit numbers posted on the premises.
  • Two or more electrical, water, gas or other types of utility meters.
  • Two or more mailboxes.
Back to Top


Illegal multi-family use affects property values and puts a strain on County services.

Failure to comply will result in a ticket in accordance with Chapter 8CC of the Miami-Dade County Code of Ordinances.

Penalties accrue and a lien may be placed on the property if the fines, enforcement costs and administrative costs are not paid or the violation not corrected.

Additional time for compliance may be granted on Courtesy Warning Notices. Call the Neighborhood Regulations office at 786-315-2552 to request an extension.

Ticket amounts:

  • $510: first offense
  • $1,010: subsequent offenses

Upon verification of Multi-family use the Property Appraiser may reexamine and retroactively assess property taxes up to three years as per Section 29-5.1.

Back to Top

Avoid being cited

Property owners should always inquire on permit requirements prior to initiating any residence construction or repairs.

Prior to purchasing a home, check for building permits and code enforcement information. Complete and submit a Research Request Form.

The enforcement research service will be limited to:

  • Unsafe structure violations
  • Work without permits violations
  • Expired permits violations
  • Neighborhood compliance violations
  • Liens recorded for the above violations
  • Contractor license liens
Back to Top

How to refute a citation

Schedule an inspection for the interior of the house with the Neighborhood Compliance Officer that issued the ticket.

You may also submit a current, signed and sealed inspection report prepared by a Florida Licensed and Registered Architect or engineer, confirming that all rooms are interconnected as a single-family residence and that the main structure has not been modified, and also showing that any accessory structures are being used as approved and not as living units.

These documents must be accompanied by a notarized affidavit from the property owner attesting that the residence is being maintained for single-family occupancy. Additionally, the issuance of the ticket may be appealed to the Clerk of Courts.

Back to Top


Back to Top

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Page Last Edited: Thu Feb 2, 2017 5:37:27 PM
Neighborhood/Building Enforcement

Contact Us

To report a possible neighborhood code violation
Call 311 or email [email protected].

For more information
Call the Neighborhood Regulations Division at 786-315-2552.


You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.