What is Redistricting and Reapportionment?
After each decennial Census, the Legislature and certain local jurisdictions redraw districts from which Florida voters elect members of the U.S. House of Representatives, state senators, state representatives, county commissioners, school board members and applicable municipalities.
Redistricting is the redrawing of these districts to adjust for uneven growth rates in different parts of the state. Districts determine which voters participate in which elections.
Reapportionment is the redistribution of seats in the United States House of Representatives among the 50 states, based on the decennial census. Each state gets at least one seat. Effective with elections in 2022, Florida gets 28 representatives in the U.S. House of Representatives, an increase of one from last decade. Two U.S. Senators represent the entire state.
The Reapportionment Process flowchart shows the process for approving new state house and senate districts (See Article III, Section 16 of the Florida Constitution). It also indicates the paths followed dating back to 1972. The process is different for congressional districts, which are set by act of the Legislature and approved by the Governor (there is no mandatory review by the Florida Supreme Court).
How could Redistricting affect you?
- Be in a new district with one or more new elected officials
- Vote at a new polling location
The Miami-Dade Elections Department will issue new voter information cards to all voters prior to the August 23, 2022 Primary Election.
Check out your latest district and precinct information by going to our Voter Information page.
Changes at the Local Level
Miami-Dade County Commission Districts have officially changed. The Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners adopted their plan on December 1, 2021. Information regarding County Commission Districts can be found on the BCC Redistricting page.
- The Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners Districts map can be viewed here
- The Miami-Dade School Board Districts map can be viewed here
Changes at the Federal/State level
The Florida Congressional Districts map can be viewed here.
- The Miami-Dade County Florida Congressional Districts map with Precincts and Zip Codes can be viewed here
- The Miami-Dade County Florida State Senate Districts with Precincts and Zip Codes map can be viewed here
- The Miami-Dade County Florida State House Districts with Precincts and Zip Codes map can be viewed here
This information will continue to be updated as information is obtained from the various sources data.
2700 NW 87 Avenue, Miami, FL 33172