Mosquitoes After a Hurricane
Rainy and wet conditions that often follow a hurricane can result in an increase to the mosquito population. To reduce breeding:
- Check and empty standing water in children's toys, untreated swimming pools, uncovered boats and watercraft that are not draining water, as well as from trash cans and lids.
- To avoid mosquito bites:
- Repair screening on windows, doors, porches and patios.
- Avoid being outdoors at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are more likely to bite.
- Dress in light, long and loose clothing that covers the skin.
- Use insect repellents containing DEET.
Read more about mosquito control.