Community Relations Board
"Given the tremendous cultural diversity that exists in our County and the community tensions that arise from time to time, it is in all our best interests to have a respected diverse group of prominent community leaders with the authority to act independently to address issues impacting on intergroup relations and to assist in their resolution,' - Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners, July 2000.
Since 1963, the Miami-Dade County Community Relations Board (CRB) has worked to foster mutual understanding, tolerance and respect among all economic, social, religious and ethnic groups in the county. CRB members today must possess the same level of community pride, interest, integrity, responsibility and commitment to intergroup relations as those who served so well in the past.
The CRB serves an advisor to the Mayor, Board of County Commissioners and the County administration on issues impacting intergroup relations. The thirty members are prominent community leaders who work to bring together diverse population groups and interests to create a cohesive community where all people are valued and respected.
The primary mission of the Community Relations Board is to intervene and contain community tensions, as quickly as possible.
The secondary mission of the Community Relations Board is:
- To work proactively to identify and relieve intergroup conflicts before crises arise
- To develop bridges of understanding and support programs in the community
- To foster understanding, communication, and mutual respect
- To develop and support local or city based Community Relations Boards throughout the county
- To assure that resources are in place to respond to community crisis
Bylaws and Founding OrdinanceThe bylaws and founding ordinance for the Community Relations Board can be found below.
Agendas and Minutes
List of the Community Relations Board agendas and minutes available for viewing.
Board MembersExecutive Committee
- John Quick, Esq., Chair
- Gabriel Paez, First Vice-Chair
- Jessica Sinkfield, Esq., Second Vice-Chair
- Ronald Fulton-Secretary
- Carol Brick-Turin
- Jean Tong-Noon
- Major Ervens Ford
- Jason Abreu
- Betty Alonso
- Gus Barreiro
- Brenda Betancourt
- Tania Brito
- Natasha Colebrook-Williams
- Pedro Diaz
- Francis Francois
- Eddie Gervais
- Alphonso Jackson
- Mohammad Shakir
- Spencer Pylant
- Jose Rodriguez
- Rabbi Solomon Schiff
- Stefan Schwinderman
- Executive Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Committee
- Quality of Life Committee
The Office of Community Advocacy is looking for volunteers to serve as liaison between the Advisory Boards and the Miami-Dade County community at large.
All volunteer members must be permanent residents of Miami-Dade County. In addition, members should have demonstrated an interest in the field, activity or sphere covered by the board.
The primary consideration in appointing volunteer members is to provide the board with the needed technical, professional, financial, business or administrative expertise.
Please note: all volunteers must pass a background check, provided by Miami-Dade County.
- For more information, please read the Standards for Creation and Review of Boards Generally.
Duties & Responsibilities
To foster mutual understanding, tolerance, and respect among all economic, social, religious and ethnic groups in the County.
- To act as conciliator in controversies involving community relations.
For more information, please read the Community Relations Advisory Board Code of Ordinance