Liberty City Rising
In February 2015, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez announced a multimillion-dollar plan to revitalize Liberty Square and Liberty City. Known as Liberty City Rising, this initiative seeks to address the issues of crime and poverty in the area by raising the standard of living for residents and creating opportunities to earn a decent living.
- Miami-Dade County has committed $74,000,000 for the Liberty City Rising revitalization initiative, which will be used to leverage over $390,000,000 of economic activity and private sector investment.
- The catalyst of the Liberty City Rising revitalization initiative is the redevelopment of the Liberty Square Public Housing Project. Liberty Square is the oldest public housing project in the southeastern United States built in 1937 under President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
- Miami-Dade County has allocated $46,000,000 of funding for the redevelopment of Liberty Square and Lincoln Gardens, which will generate over $307,000,000 in economic activity and private sector investment.
- Miami-Dade County has allocated an additional $28,000,000 to revitalize the Liberty City neighborhood within the City of Miami. These funds will be utilized to create additional economic activity through the construction of new multifamily housing, affordable and workforce housing, affordable homeownership opportunities, economic development and capital improvements, etc.
- The Liberty City Rising revitalization initiative will create an estimated 2,290 jobs.
- Miami-Dade County established the Employ Miami-Dade program to train and assist in the hiring of residents from the Liberty City Rising zip codes 33142 and 33147, to address the high unemployment rate in this neighborhood.
Liberty Square Resident Video
Related Urban Final Plan Video
- Miami-Dade County selected Related Urban as its development partner for the Liberty Square Rising revitalization initiative in July 2016.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Related Urban Development and Liberty Square Resident Council, Inc.
- Liberty Square Rising Presentations
- Historic Preservation
- Resident Meeting Notes
- Community Engagement Session 01: Housing + Historic Structures - September 29, 2016
- Community Engagement Session 02: Public Safety - October 13, 2016
- Community Engagement Session 03: Community Amenities and Services – October 20, 2016
- Community Engagement Session 04: Economic Development + Section 3 Hiring – October 27, 2016
- Community Engagement Session 05: Art in Public Places + Public Spaces and Public Transportation – November 3, 2016
- Community Engagement Session 06: Final Redevelopment Plan Liberty Square Community Center – November 15, 2016
The first phase of Liberty Square Rising will contain 204 units of mixed-income housing, with a combination of public housing, affordable housing and workforce housing units.
- Transfer of residents from the first phase commenced in November 2016
- Signed Memorandum of Agreement with State Historic Preservation Office in February 2017 to preserve and document the history of Liberty Square
- Miami-Dade County Housing Finance Authority Resolution HFA 2017-04 to issue $21,000,000 in Tax-Exempt Bonds for the Redevelopment of Liberty Square Phase One was approved in February 2017
- HUD Environmental Clearance was obtained in March 2017
- Construction activities commenced in December 2017
- Construction completion for Phase One is anticipated for Spring 2019
Phase One Leasing
Leasing for Liberty Square Phase One is now underway for this brand new garden-style community in Liberty City with amenities and features including a children’s playground, secured access-controlled entry, energy efficient appliances, wood cabinetry, in-unit washer/dryer, and granite countertops.
- Application distribution will be held 8/12/19, 8/13/19, and 8/14/19 or via website at www.newlibertysquare.com
- Questions and answers will be held on both 8/15/19 and 8/16/19
- Return applications in person on 8/17/19, 8/19/19 or 8/20/19
Hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.at the Liberty Square Community Center, 6304 NW 14 Avenue,
Miami, Florida 33147. TRG Management phone: 305-539-0908 or for TTY Dial 711.
There are 25 HOME units available:
- 5 two-bedroom units 50% HOME Rent $872
One Person $29,650
Two Persons $33,900
Three Persons $38,150
Four Persons $42,350
- 20 two-bedroom units 80% HOME using 60% AMI Rent $1,063
One Person $35,580
Two Persons $40,680
Three Persons $45,780
Four Persons $50,820
Note: Selections are not made on first come, first served basis. If there are more qualified applicants than available units, a random computerized selection will be made after applications are collected and reviewed for qualifications. This announcement reflects availability only for HOME units.
The following amenities will be provided at the development:
- Central Air Conditioning
- Early Learning Center
- Community Center
- National Grocery Store
- Retail options
- Energy Star appliances
- In-unit laundry facilities
- Pedestrian and Bicycle friendly streetscapes
- Cultural Arts & Art in Public Spaces
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) requirements (e.g., security cameras, access control, community policing, etc.)
Temporary transfer assistance for public housing residents
Public housing residents who are temporarily transferred will:
- receive at least 90 days notice
- be provided counseling before temporary transfer take place
- have all costs paid by the developer and/or PHCD to include temporary transfers and move to new completed units