Property and Evidence Pickup

The Property and Evidence Section is open to the public Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. If you have any property that's in the possession of the Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD) Property and Evidence Section, and you have been cleared to pick it up, make an appointment to pick up your property. You must bring the following things with you:

  • MDPD case number or court case number
  • Picture identification (state driver's license, state ID card, passport, or U.S. Armed Forces ID card)
  • An original Return of Property court order (if applicable).

To receive a court order, go to the Clerk of Court and file a Motion for the Return of Property.

If your court case is closed, the arresting or impounding officer must complete a Property Disposition form and a Narrative Continuation form, indicating that your property can be released. These forms must have your name, address, and phone number printed on it by the officer. Only an original Property Disposition form will be accepted.

If you are not sure if a Property Disposition form and Narrative Continuation form have been completed, please contact the arresting or impounding officer.

A typical release may take up to 60 minutes to process, so if you have any appointments afterwards, be sure to schedule accordingly.

You may have a friend or a relative pick up your property if that person has a notarized Power of Attorney authorizing them to pick up your property. If the property is to be released as the result of a court order, the court order should indicate who has power of attorney.


If you would like to retrieve a gun that was involved in a Breach of Peace case, you must bring an original Return of Property court order.

Examples of Breach of Peace cases:

  • Domestic disputes, batteries or injunctions.
  • Reckless display of a firearm.
  • Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon (weapons will not be released).
  • Baker Act
  • Risk protection order

The Property and Evidence Section recommends that you bring a case or pouch for each weapon you would like returned.


If your vehicle has been stolen, contact your local police station. If you're not sure what city you're in, you can call the police non-emergency number to be directed to the proper agency. To find out if your stolen vehicle has been recovered, call the Vehicle Recovery Desk.

The Property and Evidence Section places vehicles on hold if it's part of an investigation. If your vehicle is placed on hold, contact the investigator assigned to the investigation for the release or any questions regarding your vehicle.

If you need to pick up your vehicle from a contracted tow company, you need to provide them with proof of ownership by showing the title or registration. The vehicle can only be released to the person whose name appears on the vehicle title or registration certificate as the registered owner. However, you can authorize someone to pick up your vehicle by having that person present a notarized letter of authorization from the owner and proof of ownership by presentation of a title or registration.

To report a complaint about a vehicle that was towed by a contracted tow company, call the Consumer Services Division.

Phone Number(s)

Email / Mail