Transit Oriented Development
Transit Oriented Development (TOD) is a fast-growing community development trend that includes a mixed-use of housing, office, retail space and/or amenities integrated into a walkable neighborhood and located within a half-mile of public transportation. TODs provide better access to jobs and housing for people of all ages and incomes. TODs help to enhance connectivity for area residents and businesses, leading to safer accessibility to jobs, businesses, residential and commercial districts, and schools.
- Reduce the number of household drivers.
- Lower congestion, air pollution and greenhouse emissions.
- Create walkable communities that accommodate healthier lifestyles.
- Increase transit ridership and fare revenue.
- Expand mobility choices that reduce dependence on the automobile.
- Reduce transportation costs.
Projects & Resources
7th Avenue Transit Village
- Phase I is 9 stories with 76 affordable housing units. Completed 2016.
- Phase II is 9-stories with 100 units of affordable housing. Completed 2017.
- Multi-level parking garage with 158 spaces, 25 of which are dedicated to Metrobus patrons.
Allapattah Metrorail Station
- Allapattah Garden Apartments is a garden style 8 buildings, 3-story, 128 units of affordable housing. 135,100 sq. ft. Completed 2004.
Brownsville Metrorail Station
- Brownsville Transit Village is a five-phase, 5.2-acre, joint-development project.
- Phases I-IV feature 401 affordable housing units in four 14-story rental buildings, a 660-space parking garage for tenant use with an additional 100 spaces dedicated for Metrorail riders and 6,400 sq. ft. of retail space. Completed in 2014.
- Phase V will contain 120 residential units (44 required). Ground to be broken 2022 with completion 2023.
Dadeland North Metrorail Station
- Phase I Dadeland Station is an 859,337 sq.ft. big box vertical retail mall with 9600 sq.ft. ground floor retail, features Target, Best Buy, Dick’s, PetSmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and Michael’s. Completed in 1996.
- Phase II Towers of Dadeland I is a 14-story market rate residential tower with 6400 sq. ft. ground floor retail. Completed in 2005.
- Phase III Motion at Dadeland features 294 market-rate rental apartments in a 25-story building with structured parking, along with 8,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail. Completed in 2019.
- Phase B Dadeland Vista is an off-site 4-story 48-unit market rate apartment building. Completed in 2000.
Dadeland South Metrorail Station
- Phase I & III - Datran Center 1 & 2 are 16-story and 20-story Class A office buildings of 1,007,156 sq. ft. with 44,920 sq. ft. of retail, 3,500 structured parking spaces with 1,000 dedicated to transit patrons. Completed 1984.
- Phase II - Miami Dadeland Marriott Hotel and Conference Center with 300 rooms. Completed 1984.
- Phase 4A - Dadeland Centre is an 18-story 127,353 sq. ft. Class A office building with structured parking. Completed 2005.
- Phase 4B – Dadeland Centre II is a 15-story 112,000 sq. ft. Class A office building with ground floor retail and structured parking. Completed 2008.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Metrorail Station
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Office Building is a 5-story, 172,000 sq. ft. office building with 13,500 sq. ft. ground floor retail. Completed 2004.
Government Center Metrorail Station
- The Stephen P. Clark Government Center is a 27-story building housing the seat of and offices of Miami-Dade County government. Completed in 1984.
Historic Overtown/Lyric Theatre Metrorail Station
- Overtown Transit Village North is a 17-story, 309,900 sq.ft. office building with a 950-space parking garage and 4,000 sq.ft. ground floor retail. Completed 2006.
- Overtown Transit Village South is a 21-story, 300,000 sq.ft. office building with a 334-space parking garage and 7,152 ground floor lobby. Completed 2010.
Northside Metrorail Station
- Northside Transit Village is four 8-story affordable housing residential buildings with 438 units, 20,000 sq. ft. ground floor retail and 250 dedicated transit patron parking spaces in a multi-level parking garage. Silver LEED.
- To date, 319 housing units have been constructed between 2015-2022.
- An additional 118 are under construction with completion by 2023
Santa Clara Metrorail Station
- Santa Clara Apartments I is a 9-story, 219,376 sq.ft. 208-unit affordable housing project with surface parking. Completed 2004.
- Santa Clara Apartments II is a 17-story, 361,325 sq.ft. 204-unit affordable housing project with 258-space structured parking plus 61 dedicated transit patron spaces. Completed 2006
South Miami Metrorail Station
- Phase I is 3-stories above an existing five-story parking garage featuring 102 student housing units. Competed in 2021.
- Phase 2 will be a 13-story residential student housing tower on an adjacent vacant parcel. Ground to be broken fourth quarter 2022.
TransitWay at SW 200th Street Caribbean Village
- Caribbean Village is a mixed-use, transit-oriented development located on the South Dade TransitWay at SW 200th Street.
- Phase I of the project features 123 affordable housing units. Completed 2019.
- Phase II features 47 housing units and 12,500 sq.ft. retail/commercial space. Completion 4Q2022.
- The facility contains a new Park and Ride lot with 100 spaces of surface parking for TransitWay patrons.
- Caribbean Village comprises a significant investment in Art in Public Places with one-of-a-kind wallpaper, murals, paintings, tile work and entry-way lighting.