Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Class I Permit

Section 24-48 of the Miami-Dade County Code requires that a Miami-Dade County Class I Permit be obtained prior to performing any work in, on, over or upon tidal waters or coastal wetlands of Miami-Dade County or of any of the municipalities located within Miami-Dade County. A Class I Permit is also required for most mangrove trimming, alteration or removal. This permit requirement applies to most work with some exceptions that are specified in the Miami-Dade County Code.

A Class I permit is utilized to manage impacts from construction on coastal wetlands and tidal waters. Through the Class I Permit Application process, proposed projects are reviewed to identify potential environmental and other impacts. Before the permit is issued, Miami-Dade County may require modification of the project to eliminate avoidable impacts and to minimize other impacts. Compensation (mitigation) is required for unavoidable impacts as part of the permit.

Other permits may be needed before you can start work. The following is a list of other agencies that may have jurisdiction over these Class I projects. Please be advised that their involvement will depend upon the location, nature, type and size of the project:

  • Local Municipality (structural, zoning, building)
  • Miami-Dade County (if located in unincorporated Miami-Dade County)
  • South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD)
  • Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP)
  • U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE)

Depending on your situation, you may need one or more of the above-mentioned permits, in addition to a Class I permit. Additionally, there may be instances when a permit that is not listed here is required. We encourage you to contact the Coastal and Wetlands Resources Section at 305-372-6575 to discuss your particular case or to request additional information.

Processing time may vary from project to project due to design, site conditions or project complexity. Short form applications typically take 8 to 12 weeks to process, while standard form applications may take anywhere from 12 weeks to over a year.

Most short form permits are valid for 2 years from the date of issuance, while mangrove trimming permits and most standard form permits are valid for 3 years from the date of issuance. If additional time is necessary to perform the work, the permit may be extended in 2 or 3-year increments provided the total time period of the extensions granted does not exceed 10 years.

Expedited Administrative Authorization

Certain activities may be eligible to receive a written expedited administrative authorization provided that, the work meets with the criteria specified in Section 24-48 of the Code of Miami-Dade County and, the Department determines the work will not result in adverse environmental impacts. Processing time for an EAA is typically 10 days. Please refer to the Class I permit application package for instructions on requesting an EAA.

For coastal construction permits, the application and permit fees are based on the cost of construction. Fees for expedited administrative authorizations are based on the qualifying type of activity. Permit fees for mangrove trimming or alteration are based on the square footage of the area proposed for trimming. Please see the Fee Schedule.

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57:23 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.