Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Community Gardens

Currently in Miami-Dade County, community gardens are only allowed in the 12 areas designated as Urban Center Districts. A code amendment would be required to allow for them in other areas.

To see whether a property is zoned to allow for Community Gardens, use the County's Property Search. After entering an address or folio number, you can find the zoning district information under the "Additional Information" tab.

According to the Standard Urban Center District Regulations, a Community Garden is considered open space set aside for the cultivation and harvesting of produce such as flowers, fruits and vegetables. In addition,

  • Cultivated and harvested products may only be sold at permitted farmers markets and at grocery stores;
  • The raising or sale of livestock or poultry is prohibited;
  • Only hand-held tools shall be permitted in the cultivation and harvesting process. Use of heavy agriculture equipment is prohibited;
  • All tools, equipment and products used to grow and harvest plant material shall be stored in an enclosed structure subject to the Building Placement Standards -- see Sec. 33-284.85 on page 10 of the regulations;
  • Gardens shall only be tended between sunrise and sunset.

A young volunteer at a Health in the Hood Community Garden.

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:42:37 AM
Zoning Districts

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.