Towing Regulations - Laws and Tips
On Oct. 6th the Board of County Commissioners adopted as amended Item No. 222104 relating to various provisions of the County’s towing ordinance, including Sec. 30-473(k) concerning forms of payment towers must accept, Sec. 30-473(n) listing what documents a tower may require as proof of ownership, and Sec. 30-476 establishing maximum non-consent tow rates. These amendments became effective Sunday, Oct. 16, 2022.
- Must accept the following for payment:
- Cash, money order, or traveler’s check
- Personal check (showing on its face the name and address of the vehicle owner or authorized representative)
- Bank, debit or major credit card (such as Visa or MasterCard)
- Beginning July 16, 2023, digital payments, such as Zelle, PayPal, Venmo, Apple Pay or Cash App
- Must get express authorization from law enforcement, a property owner or a property owner’s agent (name, contact information, date and time) before towing a vehicle
- Must provide the driver of the towed vehicle the necessary documentation for retrieval, company business hours and costs via telephone
- Must allow the driver or authorized representative to inspect the vehicle and remove personal property prior to payment
- Must display towing rates and consumer’s rights at their business
If you arrive at a scene while your vehicle is towed, and would like it released on site, the tow operator must release your vehicle for half the towing rate (currently $72.50). You do not need to pay in cash.
If the vehicle is not registered in your name, you may need a notarized affidavit signed by the vehicle’s owner explaining you are an authorized representative of the vehicle.
Consumer Mediation Center
Miami-Dade County's Mediation Center receives, processes and investigates consumer complaints, mediates disputes between consumers and businesses, identifies violations of the law by business operators, and issues civil citations.
601 NW 1st Court, 18th floor
Miami, FL 33136
Email: [email protected]
Hours: 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walkins are accepted.
Regulatory and Economic ResourcesLourdes M. Gomez
Stephen P. Clark Center
111 NW 1st Street,
Miami, FL 33128
305-375-2877 | [email protected]