Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Contractors & Building Trades

Contractors and tradesmen working in Miami-Dade County are licensed by Miami-Dade County's Contractor Licensing Section. The Construction Trades Qualifying Board has authority over these types of licenses and scopes of licenses that are issued.

Visit the Contractors page for information about Contractor examinations and continuing education courses, as well as contractor searches and complaints.

Submit contractor registration applications, updated insurance forms, worker's compensation and/or worker's compensation exemption documentation to [email protected] 

Informational brochures about contractors

Types of Licenses

More than 100 different types of licenses are issued within these six major license categories (click to see the license types):

  1. Maintenance
  2. Electrical
  3. Mechanical
  4. Plumbing
  5. Building
  6. Building Specialties

Miami-Dade County issues personal and business licenses.

Veterans Fee Waiver

The Construction Trades Qualifying Board will waive the initial application fee for a military veteran who applies for a license in the format prescribed by the Board, within 24 months after discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces. To qualify for this waiver, the veteran must have been honorably discharged and provide appropriate service documentation.

Back to Top

Personal Licenses

To obtain a new personal license from Miami-Dade County you must first meet certain experience requirements as well as maintaining a level of financial responsibility. You must submit an application to include proof of experience through letters from employers stating the dates of employment and description of work performed and submittal of W-2 tax documents covering the employment period.

Reinstatement of null and void Miami-Dade County Certificates

Effective Sept. 29, 2013, the holder of a certificate that has become null and void may reapply to the Construction Trades Qualifying Board or a division for a new certification or request reinstatement.

The Board shall not reinstate a null and void license except where illness or undue hardship and a good faith effort to comply with the renewal requirements is demonstrated. The Board shall strictly construe and determine applicability for renewal based on documentation provided by the licensee.

Where consent to reinstate is granted, completion of eight classroom hours of continuing education for each year the certificate was involuntarily inactive, as specified by the Board or a division thereof, and payment of renewal fees as established by administrative order for each renewal period in which the certificate was involuntary inactive shall be imposed.

For questions, please call 786-315-2880.

Back to Top

Business Licenses

Once you have obtained a personal certificate of eligibility or competence, you are eligible to obtain a business license. This does not apply to Journeymen or Maintenance personnel.

To obtain a business license you must complete an application, as a sole proprietor, partnership, or a corporation.

As a Qualifying Agent for a business you must have a significant interest or financial interest in the entity you qualify as evidenced by the position as an officer or partner or principal stockholder in accordance with Section 10-6 (E) 5 of the Code of Miami-Dade County.

Authorized Employee Certificate of Competency – The issuance of the certificate of competency is restricted to County and Municipal employees while acting in the performance of the terms of their employment and may only be used to obtain building permits in that capacity.

Back to Top


If you are a tradesman or a contractor you must renew your license generally every two years. You will receive a renewal notice 2 months before the expiration of your active license.

You can return the notice by mail or you may drop it off at our office located at 11805 SW 26th Street, Room 207, Miami, Florida 33175, between the hours of Monday thru Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The notice should be submitted with the requested fee in the form of a personal check or money order payable to Miami-Dade Regulatory and Economic Resources.

Qualified contractors can submit applications for renewal of contractor's certificate of competency/eligibility by using our online Contractor License Renewal application.

In addition to the aforementioned requirements, each licensed holder is required to have 16 hours of continuing education credit hours. A certificate holder is not required to complete any continuing education requirements for the term in which a certificate is initially issued pursuant to Chapter 10 of the Code of Miami-Dade County, Section 10-13.1(3). Individuals holding a business license must present a certificate of liability insurance and proof of worker’s compensation coverage.

Continuing Education sponsorship in Miami-Dade County

The following guidelines and documents relate to continuing education sponsorship, per Miami-Dade County Code Section 10-13.1:

Registration of course sponsors

Any person or legal entity who seeks to conduct a course, seminar or other program of instruction intended to be offered for the purpose of enabling participants to earn continuing education hours under this chapter shall apply to the Construction Trades Qualifying Board for registration as a course sponsor.

In order to register as a course sponsor, the person or legal entity must submit an application for approval on a form and in a manner approved by the Board with payment of the registration fee established by separate administrative order.

The course sponsor registration is valid for two years from the date of issue.

Approval of continuing education courses

Any registered course sponsor may submit an application for approval of a continuing education course.

The application for approval of a continuing education course shall be submitted on a form approved by the Board with payment of the fee established by separate administrative order.

The continuing education course approval is valid for two years from the date of approval.

Discipline of course sponsors

If, at any time, a partner, owner, director, officer or duly-appointed representative of a course sponsor falsifies or fraudulently misrepresents any information which is provided to the Construction Trades Qualifying Board or, in the alternative, violates any of the provisions of Chapter 10 of the Code of Miami-Dade County (or the Board's rules and regulations promulgated there under) it shall be deemed a violation of Section 10-14 of this Code, punishable in the manners provided in that Section, with penalties to include revocation or suspension of the course sponsor registration.

New mandatory Continuing Education requirements for Miami-Dade County Licensees

Beginning with the 2014 Miami-Dade County License Renewal cycle, mandatory seminars have been included in the biennial 16 hours of continuing education necessary for license renewal.

Of the required 16 hours of continuing education credit, a minimum of one hour in each of the following areas of study shall be included: Chapter 10 of the Code of Miami-Dade County and Florida Statute 713. The remaining 14 hours of continuing education may be satisfied through attendance at any Construction Trades Qualifying Board-approved courses.

For questions, call 786-315-2880.

Military personnel who request to make their license inactive while on active duty, and agree not to perform business during that time, will have their renewal fee waived up until six months after discharge. Continuing education requirements are also waived.

Back to Top


If the category you are applying for is an exam category, you must take the exam and pass with at least a grade of 70% (with the exception of Journeyman license). Journeyman must at least obtain a passing grade of 75% or better to pass.

Once you submit your application it will be reviewed by the Board and if approved, you will be provided information on how to schedule your exam.

Examinations for certificates of competency and eligibility are offered numerous times during the month. The exams are open book and the required books for each exam category can be found in the providers exam descriptions pdf file found in the examinations link above.

Exams are offered in English or Spanish and special accommodations can be made for those who have disabilities.

Back to Top

State Registration of Miami-Dade County Certificates

Miami-Dade County Certificate holders, if required by Chapter 10 of the Code of Miami-Dade County and Florida Statute 489 must be registered with the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Failure to comply will result in a restriction of your permitting privileges. Please ensure that your State Registration is updated and provide the Miami-Dade County Contractor Licensing Section with your current and active registration number.

Back to Top

Journeyman Certificate of Competency

  • Requires three years of proven field experience in the trade or, education equivalent or a combination of the two, but not more than one-half consisting of education equivalent.
  • Requires submittal of an application to include proof of experience through letters from employers stating the dates of employment and description of work performed and submittal of W-2 tax documents covering the employment period.
  • Requires successfully passing an examination with a grade of 75% or above. Exam is open book and a list of the books is provided to you at the time you request an application.
  • Requires payment of $240

This license does not entitle you to perform as a contractor; you may only work under the direction of a Master in your respective trade.

Back to Top

Masters Certificate of Competency

  • Requires an applicant to have held for two years a Certificate of Competency as a journeyman issued by the CTQB and have at least two years of prior field experience or at least six years of specialized training or registration as a professional engineer in the discipline concerned.
  • Requires submittal of an application to include proof of experience through letters from employers stating the dates of employment and description of work performed and submittal of W-2 tax documents covering the employment period.
  • Requires successfully passing an examination with a grade of 70% or above. Exam is open book and a list of the books is provided to you at the time you request an application.
  • Requires payment of $315.00.

After completing the application to obtain your personal license, you must complete a business application to obtain your business license. You will be required to pay an additional $315.00. Proof of liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance is required after Board approval.

If you conduct business without meeting the minimum requirements, you will be subject to citations for violating chapter 10 of the Miami-Dade County Code.

Back to Top

Affiliation Change

For a Change of Affiliation, a Business Application, Outgoing Affidavit (Change of Affiliation) and Applicant Financial History form must be completed.

Back to Top


Miami-Dade County only reciprocates with Broward and Palm Beach County in specific trade categories. Read the reciprocity applications for more information.

To reciprocate to Miami-Dade County you must have passed and exam and obtained a score of 75% or higher in the journeyman level and 70% or higher in all other reciprocal categories.

Back to Top

Inactive Status

To place a certificate on inactive status, an Outgoing Affidavit (Inactive Status) and Applicant Financial History form must be completed.

Voluntary Inactive Status of Armed Forces Members 

Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty who requests voluntary inactive status and provides documentation to the Construction Trades Qualifying Board and, at the time of becoming such a member, was entitled to practice or engage in his or her trade in Miami-Dade County and whose license was in good standing with the Board and is no longer acting as a contractor for profit, shall be kept in good standing by the Board without renewing or paying the regular renewal fee and shall not be required to complete continuing education requirements as long as he or she is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty and for a period of six months after discharge from active duty.

Back to Top

State of Florida Certified Contractors

Miami-Dade County provides a registration process that makes it easier for state contractors who are performing work in Unincorporated Dade County to obtain permits.

The process includes verification of the contractor’s license status, photocopying the driver’s license, and obtaining a copy of the current General Liability and Worker’s Compensation Insurance. This information is then placed in our computer system, which allows the Miami-Dade County to expeditiously verify the state contractor’s information, without the contractor having to present the required document each time.

Back to Top

Registering as a Swimming Pool Cleaner

A contractor’s license is not required for individuals who are solely engaged in the cleaning and treatment of water in existing swimming pools. However, all such individuals are required to complete and submit a registration form to the department’s Contractor Licensing Section. All registrations shall be valid for one year and expire on the last day of September. Annual renewal shall include verification of continued qualification for the registration.

Back to Top

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Page Last Edited: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02:31 PM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.