Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.


Separate permits required for Electrical, Septic Tank, Abandonment, Plumbing, Roofing and Mechanical Work. 

Owner Builder Permit

Miami-Dade County offers permits to individuals that are performing work on their property without benefit of a contractor.

The homeowner must submit their permit application and plans, and once approved, will be able to schedule an owner / builder exam. 

The permit will only be issued upon passing the owner builder exam which is given only once.

If the exam is failed, a licensed contractor would have to apply for the permit and complete all of the work.

If you plan to do the work, you are required to provide adequate proof of your ability to each of the processors, in the discipline you are requesting to work.

Additionally, owner / builders are limited to one permit per two year period for the construction of a new single family residence.

Getting an Owner-Builder Permit

The following provisions and requirements apply to owner-builders:

Proof of Ownership – Prior to a building permit being issued to you, you must submit proof of ownership of the land concerned in the application in the form of a recorded deed, showing you own the property, or a copy of mortgage or warranty deed of the land, or a Miami-Dade County tax receipt statement to contain legal description of property and indicate property is in your name. Legal description and name on document of proof must correspond to the name and legal description on the application.

Responsibility – You will be responsible for all work done by your day labor employees, and you must either employ licensed contractors or persons to be paid on an hourly or per diem basis. Any one contracting (including labor) with you, verbally or in writing, on a fixed fee basis for any work, who is not properly licensed, will be subject to a fine of $500 and/or imprisonment for six months.

Insurance – Be advised that if your day labor employees cause any damage to persons or property, or if any of your day labor employees are injured on the job, you are liable. Your regular home insurance policy ordinarily DOES NOT cover this type of liability.

Withholding Taxes, etc. – You should be advised to investigate your responsibility for withholding Social Security, Federal and State Unemployment Insurance Taxes and Federal Income Taxes from the wages of employees working for you on the proposed construction, and for making returns thereof to the proper agencies.

Disclosure Statement – State and county law requires construction or demolition to be done by licensed contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to those laws. The exemption allows you, as the owner of the property, to act as your own contractor even though you do not have a license.

You must supervise the construction of demolition yourself. You may build, improve or demolish a one-family or two-family residence. You may also maintain, alter or repair your own single family or duplex residence; or erect a one story building or addition of not more than 500 square feet for commercial or industrial use, or perform maintenance or repairs and non-structural alterations, not to exceed $5,000 on any building which you own or lease.

The building must be for your own use and occupancy. It may not be built for sale or lease. If you sell or lease more than one building you have built yourself within 2 years after the construction is complete, the law will presume that you built it for sale or lease, which is a violation of this exemption.

You may not hire an unlicensed person as your contractor. Your construction or demolition must be done according to building codes and zoning regulations. It is your state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances.

Demolition Work – In addition to meeting Florida Building Code requirements stated above, you are responsible for disconnecting all utilities, including water, sewer, septic tank, electrical service, gas, telephone, cable TV, etc., PRIOR TO COMMENCING DEMOLITION. You are also required to obtain a permit from the State of Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services in order to abandon any septic tank that is on the property.

If you do not intend to do the work involved yourself, or with day labor, please list below, the name of the individual or firm with whom you have entered (or will enter) into a contract for the work.

If you cannot view PDF PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader  for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57:37 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.