Motor Vehicle Repair Laws & Tips
- The repair shop must provide a written estimate if the diagnostic and/or repairs exceed $100. The estimate must clearly state: the car’s current odometer reading; the condition to be repaired; the parts needed and whether new, used or salvaged parts will be used; anticipated labor charges; any teardown/reassembly charges, storage fees; and the shop’s registration number
- The shop must get your authorization if the actual charges for the repair work will exceed the written estimate by more than $10 or 10 percent
- You have the right to cancel a repair order after being advised that the repairs cannot be completed within the authorized estimate. However, the shop may charge you a fee for the cost of teardown and reassembly if they provided notification of these possible costs in the written estimate
- You are entitled to inspect and receive your old parts if you request them when you sign the estimate
- A shop may not require you to waive your rights as a precondition to repairing your vehicle
- The repair shop must give you a legible written invoice after the work is completed showing: the current date and odometer reading; a description of the repair work performed; an itemized description of parts and labor charges; a statement identifying any replacement parts as being rebuilt/reconditioned; the shop’s registration number; the name of the mechanic/technician who performed or supervised the repair work; and any guarantees the repair shops offers
- Shops are required to have specialized equipment to perform repairs. Mechanics must take a test to demonstrate competency and must take 16 hours of continuing education every year. Apprentices must work under the supervision of a certified mechanic
Consumer Mediation Center
Miami-Dade County's Mediation Center receives, processes and investigates consumer complaints, mediates disputes between consumers and businesses, identifies violations of the law by business operators, and issues civil citations.
601 NW 1st Court, 18th floor
Miami, FL 33136
Email: [email protected]
Hours: 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walkins are accepted.