Zoning Improvement Permit (ZIP)
What type of improvements require a ZIP?
The following buildings, structures, improvements and installations require a ZIP from the Development Services Division:
- Above-ground pools
- Balloon sign
- Cargo container (commercial only)
- Chickees by Miccosukee or Seminole
- Decorative garden-type fountains
- Farm buildings. See non-residential farm buildings section below.
- Flat wall sign not to exceed 40 square feet in area and a building height of 30 feet, with County-approved detail only. Check the flat wall mounting details.
- Floating docks
- Painted wall sign
- Paving, drainage of existing facilities, established landscape, tennis, basketball courts, guardrails and bollards
- Portable mini-storage unit. Learn more about the Certificate of Use (CU) - Portable Mini-Storage Unit for residential properties.
- Railroad exemption
- Residential awnings, canopies, fabric covered framework, trellis and pergola. You may submit an Affidavit to Allow Reduced Setbacks for Shed and Pergola with your application, if applicable.
- Residential chain link fence (fences with concrete columns require BLDG 18 permit). Check Fence and Gates.
- Residential decorative pools and ponds
- Residential picket, iron, other fences non-wind resistant (fences with concrete columns require a BLDG 18 permit). Check Fence and Gates.
- Resurfacing (commercial)
- Sealing, stripe painting of existing parking lots
- Stick on fabric letters, window graphics and vinyl wall signs not to exceed 40 square feet in area
- Temporary buildings used for construction, trailer or modular
Need ZIP Assistance?
Online OptionsPermit Submission Portal
Permitting and Inspection CenterEdward A. Rojas
Permitting and Inspection Center
11805 SW 26th Street, Miami, FL 33175