Plans Processing Guidelines
What type of permit can be submitted?
The Portal allows applicants to submit new applications, plans, and/or corrections to existing applications. Use the Portal to submit the following:
- New Building Permit Applications for building, roofing, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire alarms, access control, fire sprinklers, or work that requires the submittal of plans (initial submittals)
- Applications and plans for Zoning Improvement Permits (ZIPs)
- Revision/Shop Drawing Applications to an existing permit, including plan revisions, and shop drawings. When submitting shop drawing please follow our guidelines below under Rework/Revision/Shop Drawing. Some revisions require a submittal of the original plans along with revised pages.
- Any corrections to existing permit applications and plans described above (reworks). A complete Contact Sheet will be required for any type of submittal
- Building Permit Applications for Change of Contractors, including the Hold Harmless form, and the Change of Contractor Waiver Form (if applicable)
- Building Permit Applications for Permit Extensions
- Building Permit Applications to Reissue Expired Permit along with the approved plans
- Municipal Permit Applications and plans should be submitted through the portal except for applications from cities already using the e-municipal system. Applications from these cities must come directly to the County from the cities’ existing electronic transfer protocols. For all other municipal plans, please follow the steps below:
What can I expect after submittal?
Permit documents are reviewed, marked up, disapproved, or approved electronically. Once the review of the documents is completed, applicants are notified by e-mail of any needed correction(s) or that the application has been approved. Once approved, fees can be paid online and your permit card along with approved documents may be printed.
Can I still submit paper plans?
Applicants who submit plans in a paper format will be assessed a conversion fee based on the current fee schedule. These fees must be paid in addition to required upfront fees prior to the documents being sent for plan review. Additionally, conversion may add extra time to the review process. For more information, call the Permit Records Section at 786-315-2100.
Review these instructions and guidelines before completing the Permit Application Submission form. If you have questions or encounter problems, email [email protected].