Verification Form or Ordinance Letter

The Water and Sewer Department (WASD) must evaluate all new construction, changes of use, and most renovations for residential and commercial projects to ensure infrastructure availability, integrity, and capacity which is designed to protect public health.

A Certificate of Use (also called a C.U. or zoning permit) is required before opening any business in Miami-Dade County. The C.U. is required when an industrial or commercial building is established, altered, or enlarged, or an existing building goes through a change of occupant, name, or type of business.

Please note the difference between a C.U. and a Local Business Tax. The Certificate of Use allows for the occupancy of the structure as well as certifying that the use is permitted. A Local Business Tax is a tax on business activity.

After a C.U. has been issued, you may apply for the Local Business Tax. For Local Business Tax details, contact the Tax Collector's office.

Most Certificates of Use are issued on a permanent basis. Therefore, the certificate remains valid if the business does not move, expand, change ownership, name, or business activity.

Some Certificates of Use are required by code or zoning resolution to be renewed annually.

All businesses must be reviewed by the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources’ (RER) Division of Environmental Resources Management known as DERM.

Miami-Dade County Ordinance 89-95 (Amendment Ord. 05-167) authorized the Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Dept. (WASD) to impose and collect connection charges from retail and wholesale customers.

WASD also reviews Certificate of Use applications in partnership with DERM in accordance with Sec. 24.43 of the Miami-Dade County Code.

Phone Number(s)

Email / Mail

Locations and Hours