As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Environmental Quality Control Board
The Environmental Quality Control Board (EQCB) hears requests for extensions of time for compliance and/or variances from the requirements of the Environmental Protection Code of Miami-Dade County, and other applications pursuant to Section 24-8 of the Environmental Protection Code of Miami-Dade County. The Board may also hear an appeal of any person aggrieved by any action or decision of the Director of the Division of Environmental Resources Management (DERM).
The Environmental Protection Code of Miami-Dade is also known as Chapter 24 of the Miami-Dade County Code.
- Petitions Heard by Board
- Meeting Agendas, Memos and Rulings
- 2020 EQCB Hearing Dates
- EQCB Notice
- Accessing Virtual Meetings
- EQCB Online Records
Prior to filing an application, applicants are encouraged to meet with staff to obtain information on the hearing process, filing requirements, filing fees and to review completed applications and forms. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted or scheduled for a hearing. To schedule an appointment please call (305) 372-6764.
Advertising and Notices
The Clerk of the Board will send a Notice of the Hearing (Agenda) via email to the email address provided in the application. Please include email addresses in your application of all parties to receive Notice of the Hearing.
For interim sewage treatment plants only: A notice will be posted on the subject property to inform the public of the purpose, time and place of hearing for the proposed interim sewage treatment plant.
An applicant may request an emergency hearing before the EQCB. It is up to the EQCB to decide to hear emergency cases. Please contact the Clerk of the Board for further information with regard to this procedure.Back to Top
Petitions Heard by Board
Section 24-8 of the Miami-Dade County Code provides that the Environmental Quality Control Board may hear:
- An appeal of any person aggrieved by any action or decision of the Director of the Division of Environmental Resources Management (DERM). An appeal may be filed within fifteen (15) days from the date of action or decision.
- A request for a variance from Chapter 24 of the Code of Miami-Dade County.
- A request for an extension of time for compliance with the provisions of Chapter 24 of the Code of Miami-Dade County.
- A request to modify an existing Board Order.
- A request for approval of an Interim Package Sewage Treatment Plant.
- An appeal from the decisions of the Director of DERM pursuant to a denial of an administration request for a variance to the requirements of the Federal Flood Insurance Program as established under Chapter 11C of the Miami-Dade County Code.
- An application by private and/or public water or sewer service utilities for a statement of approved water quality or approved sewage service.
Back to Top
Meeting Agendas, Memos and Rulings
Back to TopBack to Top
2020 EQCB Hearing Dates
All items advertised will be heard starting at 1:30 p.m. on the 2nd floor of the Overtown Transit Villiage, 701 NW 1 Ct.
- January 9 — Cancelled
- February 13
- March 12 — Cancelled
- April 16 — Cancelled
- May 14 — Postponed
- May 21 — Virtual Meeting
- June 11 — Virtual Meeting
- July 9 — Virtual Meeting
- September 10 - Virtual Meeting
- October 8
- November 12
- December 17
The meeting of the Environmental Quality Control Board (“EQCB”), on Thursday, September 10, 2020, at 1:30 p.m., will only be held virtually utilizing communications media technology made permissible pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Orders relating to COVID-19. This meeting was previously scheduled to be held on the Second Floor of the Overtown Transit North Building at 701 NW 1 Court, Miami, Florida, 33136.Back to Top
Accessing Virtual Meetings
The public may listen or observe the meeting as follows:
- Call in live to listen to the meeting at:
US: 877 853 5247 (Toll Free) or 888 788 0099 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 959 7843 0913
- Join the meeting live via Zoom™ to observe and listen by registering in advance for the meeting
- If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, you may listen to the meeting using Florida Relay Service by dialing 711 on your telephone; or in the alternative, Florida Relay Close CaptionLink, Event ID: 4543716. For technical or captioning issues during an event, please email [email protected] or call 833-250-2784.
If you need a sign language interpreter, or any accommodation to participate in the meeting, or to request materials in accessible format, please contact Alain Donderiz at 305-372-6779 or 786-442-4778 or via email at [email protected], at least five days in advance of the meeting to initiate your request.
Opportunity to Be Heard
Interested parties that have a matter on the agenda may participate and may present witnesses during the public hearing on the item, as follows:
- Join the meeting live via Zoom™ to speak on an item, when permissible, by registering in advance of the meeting,
- Join the meeting live by phone to speak on an item, when permissible, by registering in advance of the meeting
- If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, you may participate in the meeting using Florida Relay Service by dialing 711 on your telephone;
or in the alternative Florida Relay Close CaptionLink, Event ID: 4543716.
For technical or captioning issues during an event, please email [email protected] or call 833-250-2784.
- If you need a sign language interpreter, or any accommodation to participate in the meeting, or to request materials in accessible format, please contact Alain Donderiz at 305-372-6779 or 786-442-4778 or via email at [email protected], at least five days in advance of the meeting to initiate your request.
Procedures for use of documentary or audiovisual evidence through remote means:
The following procedures apply only to the electronic use and entry of documentary, photographic, audiovisual, and other evidence (other than live witness testimony) that is reasonably able to be provided and shared electronically at the virtual meeting (collectively referred to as “electronic evidence”), and does not apply to physical evidence that cannot be properly examined through the use of the means listed herein.
- All counsel or self-represented parties, including interested parties, shall, by July 2, 2020, submit to [email protected] all electronic evidence sought to be introduced, files not to exceed 50MB. Files exceeding 50MB shall be divided into two or more files (less than 50MB each) and attached to separate emails and should be marked to indicate number sequence of emails (E.g., “email 1 of 2,” “email 2 of 2,” etc.). All exhibits shall be pre-marked for identification (using a consecutive numbering or lettering system) and shall include an index listing all proposed exhibits with the exhibit numbers or letters, and where an exhibit is stipulated to be admitted, it shall so indicate on the exhibit and on the index; and
- Prior to submission of electronic evidence pursuant to paragraph 1, all counsel or self-represented parties, including interested parties, that seek to use electronic evidence in the virtual hearing, should contact all known parties, including the County’s Division of Environmental Resources Management, at Christine Velazquez, [email protected], in an effort to stipulate to authenticity and admissibility of said evidence; and
- Nothing in this procedure limits the EQCB’s ability to designate supplemental procedures (for example, requiring exhibits to be saved using a different software program and re-transmitted to EQCB in advance of the hearing); and
- Similarly, nothing in this procedure limits the EQCB’s discretion to admit, admit for a limited purpose, or deny entry or use of such evidence, or fashion whatever relief is appropriate under the circumstances, based on lack of compliance with these procedures; and
- If the parties comply in good faith with this procedure but technological issues prevent a meaningful review of the evidence through remote means, the EQCB may defer the matter at its discretion; and
Where physical evidence, material to the cause, is proffered and cannot be properly examined through electronic means, parties should wait for in-person hearings to be scheduled and should request that the matter be continued.
The EQCB agenda will be available for review online, or by requesting a copy via e-mail at [email protected].
If you have any questions or require additional information regarding the virtual meeting, please call at 305-372-6764. Due to COVID-19, staff is currently working remotely but will respond within a reasonable time to voicemails received.Back to Top
EQCB Online Records
EQCB case files and transcripts of prior EQCB hearings are available in our online records system. To search EQCB case files, type ''EQCB'' in the case number field. To search for EQCB transcripts, type ''EQCB transcripts'' in the facility name field.Back to Top
For more information about the Environmental Quality Control Board, email [email protected] or call 305-372-6764.
Environmental Considerations GIS
Search the Environmental Considerations GIS Map to find out if a property may have any environmental features associated with it.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.