Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Business Requirements

Businesses must have the proper registrations, licenses or permits before they can legally open for business. Businesses are subject to municipal, County, state and federal requirements. Regulations vary by industry, so it's very important to understand the licensing rules where your business is located.

Failing to comply with licensing and permitting regulations can result in you having to spend time and money to correct the problem and can also lead to expensive fines, putting your business at serious risk.

Miami-Dade County Requirements


  • Visit the Permits website to find out what you need to get your building off the ground.
  • Know the zoning requirements of the locations you want to open to ensure that you can operate your business there. You should also make sure that the space you are looking at can handle the type of business you plan to operate there before you sign a lease. For instance, does it have the appropriate water supply capacity? Are there restrictions on occupancy?
  • Certificate of Use: Prior to opening a business in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, a Certificate of Use (Zoning Permit) is required, to ensure that the business is allowed to operate within its zoning district. If your business will be located within a municipality you will need to check the local zoning requirements.
  • Review the environmental considerations of the property.
  • Start water service on the property, or set up a new, first-time physical water and sewer connection.


  • Local Business Tax Receipt: All businesses operating within Miami-Dade County are required to obtain a Miami-Dade County Local Business Tax Receipt (formerly known as Occupational License). If your business is located within a municipality, you will need a Business Tax Receipt from the County and the municipality.
  • Tangible Personal Property Taxes: Tangible personal property taxes are assessed according to the value of the assets used in a business to derive income, such as: equipment, furniture, fixtures and equipment located in businesses and rental property.
  • Tourist Tax Account: Any person or business who rents or leases any transient accommodations or short-term rentals for a period of 6 months or less is required to register for a Tourist Tax Account to collect and remit monthly Convention and Tourist Development taxes. Additionally, all businesses operating within Miami-Dade County that are licensed by the state to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, except for veterans’ organizations and businesses located in the cities of Miami Beach, Surfside or Bal Harbour are required to obtain a Miami-Dade County Tourist Tax Account and remit Local Option Food and Beverage taxes monthly.

Local Regulated Industries

Back to Top

State of Florida Requirements


  • Organizational Structure: Sole proprietorships using a name other than the owner's personal name must register the Fictitious Name with the Florida Department of State. Partnerships/Corporations/Limited Liability Partnerships and Companies must file with the Florida Department of State.
  • State Taxes: Depending on your business, you may be required to register to collect, accrue and remit certain taxes or fees if you are engaged in any of the activities associated with each tax or fee. You must register with the Florida Department of Revenue before you begin your business activities.
  • Workers' Compensation Insurance: Depending on the industry in which your business operates and the number of employees your business has, you may be required to obtain workers' compensation coverage. Corporate officers are considered employees, unless they elect to exempt themselves from the coverage requirements of Chapter 440, F.S.


  • Department of Business and Professional Regulation: See a list of the businesses and professions that require a registration/license issued by the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations.
  • Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services: For a list of the businesses that require a registration/license issued by the State of Florida, Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, please click here.

More Resources

Back to Top

U.S. Government Requirements

  • Federal Tax Identification: An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. Read more about the EIN on the IRS website, and apply for an EIN.
  • Read more resources to help you understand the requirements for your small business.
Back to Top
Page Last Edited: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:57:04 PM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.