For-Hire Chauffeur License
Important message: The following measures are being implemented as a direct response to COVID-19.
- Annual limousine renewal which usually takes place in April has been postponed until further notice. In the meantime, companies will be allowed to operate with the current operating permit decal which expires on April 30, 2020.
- Annual Passenger Motor Carrier (PMC) and Special Transportation Services (STS) renewals have been extended until June 30, 2020. In the meantime, operators will be allowed to continue using their current permit decal which expires on March 31, 2020.
- Vehicle inspections have been extended for 60 days and no enforcement action will be taken for expired inspection.
- PTRD’s inspection station facility and the main downtown office are presently closed until further notice.
- Drivers whose chauffeur registrations expire during this period will be allowed to operate with their current license.
- No late fees will be imposed for expired inspection or chauffeur registration.
In order to drive a for-hire vehicle on any street in Miami-Dade County, you must first obtain a chauffeur’s registration as defined by Chapter 31 Article II of the Miami-Dade County Code. For-hire vehicles include taxicabs, limousines, passenger motor carriers, jitneys, non-emergency vehicles, special transportation services vehicles and private school buses. The minimum age to drive a for-hire vehicle is 18 years.
For-hire chauffeurs in Miami-Dade County are licensed and regulated to assure the passengers, as well as others utilizing the streets of Miami-Dade County, that the chauffeurs are competent to provide such service.
Mail / Email
TNE Licenses, Passenger Transportation Regulatory Division
Department of Transportation and Public Works
601 NW 1st Ct., 18th Floor
Miami FL 33136